Several decades ago, I began my career as a registered dietitian (R.D.) in a Massachusetts hospital. But after three years of clinical work, I realized that I needed to reach people before they became ill—and before their habits became entrenched and inflexible. I decided to chart a different course, earning a master’s degree in Nutrition and Communications and launching a new career in healthcare communications.
Working in world-renowned Harvard teaching hospitals, nationally recognized public relations agencies, and numerous start-ups, I was exposed to the teachings and philosophies of a cross section of our country’s finest minds in science and industry. They included creative advertising and public relations geniuses. Brilliant marketing executives. Insightful behavioral psychologists. Prescient presidents of healthcare systems. Visionary entrepreneurs. Superb scientists. Gifted healthcare professionals. Frustrated consumers. And long-suffering patients! Each of these individuals and experiences contributed tremendously to the person I am today: a person with a wealth of diverse knowledge to be brought to bear on the challenges you face as you make the choice to evolve into the remarkable, one-of-a-kind person you were intended to become.
The most recent leg of my journey has been my certification as a health and wellness coach, which has allowed me to integrate my commitment to healing the mind and body with my passion for innovation and creativity. I have been able to merge my science-based knowledge with the joys of imagination, to bring the best of both worlds to you. In addition, I serve as a senior consultant with The Communications Strategy Group Inc., a consulting firm offering a full-slate of external communications services to emerging companies in advanced technologies, life sciences, biotechnology, and health care.
My Work Life
Prior to becoming a certified health and wellness coach, I enjoyed a multifaceted career in healthcare and communications, having served in the following capacities:
- Clinical dietitian
- Freelance healthcare and business writer
- Public relations executive representing healthcare, pharmaceutical, business-to-business, and non-profit clients across the country
- Director of Public Affairs for Boston Children’s Hospital, Boston, MA, and McLean Hospital, Belmont, MA
- Director of Marketing and Public Relations, Novant Health, Winston-Salem, NC
In addition to being a perpetual student of life, I have earned several degrees and certifications:
- Certified health and wellness Coach, Wellcoaches® School of Coaching
- M.S., Nutrition and Communications, magna cum laude, Sargent College, Boston University, Boston, MA
- Registered Dietitian (R.D.) certification, dietetic internship, University of Wisconsin, University Hospitals, Madison, WI
- B.S., Dietetics and Institutional Administration, magna cum laude, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA